Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Spam Happens

Spam brought my far flung family closer together. Yesterday I got an
notice of an infected email in my mailbox. I planned to delete it but
noticed that the address was from a cousin of mine who'd I lost contact
with for 15 years. If I didn't open it, I'd never see the actual address
to respond to. I've got to hand it to those virus writers...the desire to
open up the email was overwhelming...and was only countered by my current
problems with a worm-ridden laptop.

Being part of the tech team at Megabucks Industries, instead of
foolishly subjecting myself to yet another downed machine, I deleted the
spam, delved into the servers' email logs, and found the full address. I
sent a small note to the address and held my breath... and lo & behold, my
stunned cousin (who of course hadn't sent the mail at all) wrote back
thrilled for the connection.

That first contact touched not just me but my sister, and mother who also
hooked up with others from that branch of the family. We all reveled in
our long lost histories, commiserated over getting older and promised new
reunions, tighter alliances. It was an example of a familiar paradox:
sometimes bad things can lead one to the good.

In life, luck is that way:roundabout, crooked and unexpected. Author Kay
Porterfield
discusses the wry twists and turns of luck in our lives
and how beginners mind can turn a potential liability into a positive thing.

Porterfield's essay posits that luck, good, bad or indifferent is a matter
we have a hand in. Our day-to-day reactions to much of what we're faced
with determine the auspicious or unfortunate theme of our lives. Happy
chance doesn't always present herself as a pretty package at the front
gate.

So maybe I shouldn't be so surprised when she starts showing up at
the back door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home